Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast
June 26 – August 26, 2023
The Oregon Institute of Marine Biology’s research experience for undergraduates program, “Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast” (EMBOC) offers fellowship opportunities for undergraduate students from both 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to participate in ongoing marine science research at the University of Oregon’s marine lab during the summer months. In addition to conducting research at OIMB, students participating in the EMBOC program will participate in weekly professional development discussions and training sessions, social activities, field trips and marine biology seminars.
Participating students receive a $600/week stipend ($5400 total for 9 weeks, paid monthly). Travel to and from OIMB is covered. In addition, room and board will be provided at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology for the duration of the 9-week EMBOC program.
The EMBOC program is committed to diversifying the next generation of marine scientists in the research community. We strongly encourage students from underrepresented groups to apply.
The application will open Thursday December 15, 2022 and close Wednesday February 15, 2023.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- • Be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident
- • Be an undergraduate attending a 2-year or 4-year college/university (enrolled in spring and fall 2023)
- • Have completed a minimum of one year of college-level introductory biology classes.
- • Be willing to make a full-time commitment for the 9 week program (40 hrs/week)
A complete application includes:
- 1. A completed online application including:
- 2. A single letter of recommendation. In the online application you will be asked the name and e-mail address of your recommender. An e-mail request will be automatically sent to your recommender after the completion of your application. However, we suggest asking your recommender in advance and post-application to ensure they are expecting and receive an e-mail request from us. If they do not please send them here.
More Questions? Contact the program managers Maya Watts (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Richard Emlet (email@example.com) Phone: 541-346-7277 NOTE: Letters of recommendation should uploaded with the online application, NOT sent to Maya or Richard.
Host Research Institute: University of Oregon’s marine laboratory the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology in Charleston, OR.
Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. (OCE-1659447) The NSF contact for this program is Elizabeth Rom. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.