Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast
June 16, 2019 to August 17, 2019
The Oregon Institute of Marine Biology’s research experience for undergraduates program, “Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast” (EMBOC) offers fellowship opportunities for undergraduate students from both 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to participate in ongoing marine science research at the University of Oregon’s marine lab during the summer months. In addition to conducting research at OIMB, students participating in the EMBOC program will participate in weekly professional development discussions and training sessions, social activities, field trips and marine biology seminars.
Participating students receive a $500/week stipend ($4500 total for 9 weeks, paid monthly). Travel to and from OIMB is covered. In addition, room and board will be provided at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology for the duration of the 9-week EMBOC program.
The 2019 application will not be open until December 15, 2018. The application period closes on Friday, February 15, 2019 11:59pm.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- • Be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident
- • Be an undergraduate attending a 2-year or 4-year college/university (enrolled in spring and fall 2019)
- • Have completed a minimum of one year of college-level introductory biology classes.
- • Be willing to make a full-time commitment for the 9 week program (40 hrs/week)
A complete application includes:
- 1. A completed online application including
- 2. A single letter of recommendation. In the online application you will be asked the name and e-mail address of your recommender. An e-mail request will be automatically sent to your recommender after the completion of your application. However, we suggest asking your recommender in advance and post-application to ensure they are expecting and receive an e-mail request from us. If they do not please send them here.
More Questions? Contact the program managers Maya Watts (email@example.com) or Richard Emlet (firstname.lastname@example.org) Phone: 541-888-2581 ext: 201 NOTE: Letters of recommendation should uploaded with the online application, NOT sent to Maya or Richard.
Host Research Institute: University of Oregon’s marine laboratory the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology in Charleston, OR.
Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. (OCE-1659447) The NSF contact for this program is Elizabeth Rom. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.