Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast
June 19, 2017 to August 18, 2017
The Oregon Institute of Marine Biology’s research experience for undergraduates program, “Exploration of Marine Biology on the Oregon Coast” (EMBOC) offers fellowship opportunities for undergraduate students from both 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to participate in ongoing marine science research at the University of Oregon’s marine lab during the summer months. In addition to conducting research at OIMB, students participating in the EMBOC program will participate in weekly professional development discussions and training sessions, social activities, field trips and marine biology seminars.
Participating students receive a $500/week stipend ($4500 total for 9 weeks, paid monthly). Travel to and from OIMB is covered. In addition, room and board will be provided at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology for the duration of the 9-week EMBOC program.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as qualified candidates are identified, and selection may be made prior to the application closing date on Wednesday, March 15, 2017. Early submission is strongly encouraged.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- • Be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident
- • Be an undergraduate attending a 2-year or 4-year college/university
- • Have completed a minimum of one year of course work including introductory biology classes.
- • Be willing to make a full-time commitment for the 9 week program (40 hrs/week)
A complete application includes:
- 1. A completed online application form OR completed PDF application
- 2. Official transcripts from colleges or universities attended (e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 3. Recommendation packet completed by an instructor or administrator and e-mailed to email@example.com
More Questions? Contact the program managers Maya Watts (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Richard Emlet (email@example.com) Phone: 541-888-2581 ext: 201 NOTE: Application materials should all be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, NOT to Maya or Richard.
Host Research Institute: University of Oregon’s marine laboratory the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology in Charleston, OR.
This program is funded by the National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates.