Barbara A. Butler
M.L.I.S., University of California Berkeley, 1990
M.S. in Range Management, University of California Davis, 1983
B.S. in Biology, University of California Davis, 198
OIMB Science Librarian (University of Oregon): 1992 to present.
I am the subject specialist for Marine Biology, work 70% time and am the sole staff member of the OIMB Library.
Coordinator, Biodiversity Resource Center (California Academy of Sciences): 1991-1992.
Current Professional Associations
- International Association of Aquatic and Marine Science Libraries and Information Centers (IAMSLIC)
- CYAMUS (Pacific Regional Group of IAMSLIC)
- Oregon Library Association
- Nominated to Sigma Xi, scientific research society, for undergraduate research experience.
- 2005 recipient of the Richard and Mary Corrigan Solari Library Faculty Fellowship Award.
- Recipient of the “McBarfur” trophy for sea-sickness aboard the NOAA Research Vessel McArthur (1996).
My research interests involve issues of concern to one-person and remotely located libraries, resource sharing among international libraries, the scholarly publishing process in the sciences and the digitization and preservation of gray literature.
Current Volunteer Activities
Coos County Library Board (District 9 Elected Member, 2005 to present): This committee advises the County Commissioners regarding disbursements of funds (including tax levies) to the various public libraries within the county.
Coos Bay Public Library Foundation Board (Member 2003 to present, President 2006-2008): The Foundation exists to raise money for the development of services, facilities and collections for the library. In addition to our annual campaign we are launching a capital campaign to expand the library. Additionally, I raised books for audio book purchases and established the “Coos Bay Audio Book Club” as a forum for audio book listeners to share their opinions and reviews.